Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. The word breakfast means to break the nightly fast. Our bodies use 70 to 80 percent of our daily energy expenditure on digestion. But when the stomach empties, all that energy is diverted. With nothing to digest (which happens in a few hours), our bodies use all that extra energy and go to work cleaning up the entire system.
The immune system kicks into high gear and goes after parasites, viruses, and harmful bacteria. Our bodies make repairs in this state, rebuilding muscle tissue, healing wounds, and detoxing the body. But in the morning, we have to break the fast.
What Is The Best Breakfast?
When we wake up, our bodies are deficient in critical vitamins, minerals, protein, and especially water. We need to get all these things back into our bodies ASAP. Furthermore, what we eat for breakfast determines how our agencies and brains are going to function the rest of the day.
Following is a list of nutrients you’ll need to get your day off to a great start. Below that, I show you what I eat for breakfast – what I call my Power Breakfast.
- Water. Nothing is worse for our bodies than being depleted of water. If I don’t eat right away, I make sure to at least have a glass of pure (clean) water, as soon as I wake up. According to Kevin Trudeau, in his book Natural Cures They Don’t Want You To Know About, having a glass of water first thing sets up our metabolism for the day, thereby helping us to lose weight.
- Vitamins and minerals. The necessity of getting plenty of nutrients is evident, but I need to mention it anyway. As stated above, our bodies are depleted of vital minerals when we get up. Eating plenty of vitamin-rich fruits and vegetables, nuts, seeds, raw vinegar, herbs, spices, and yes, eggs.
- Protein. Our bodies use up protein very quickly. How long protein lasts depends on the digestion rate of the particular protein – but protein depletion happens in a matter of a few hours. Unfortunately, our bodies’ default mode is to break down muscle tissue. That is not good! So, get that protein – whether it be from whole foods or natural supplements – back into your body as soon as possible.
Power Breakfast Recipe
The following is not a “recipe” in the usual sense; it’s more like a guide you can to use to make sure you get every – and I mean every – nutrient your body needs for a successful day and life. The object is to get a variety of healthy foods – including the foods you only need once a day – all in one shot.
It may seem like I’m fanatical here, but what’s more important than you or your family’s health? Football? I don’t think so. Different fruits and vegetables contain different nutrients. So, it’s important to get a wide variety for breakfast and the rest of the day.
How To Make It
There are two methods I use to get a variety of healthy foods – including superfoods. One is to use an Organic Super Food mix, along with my once-a-day foods. Garden Of Life organic meal replacement to start. This stuff has a ton of nutrients including 44 superfoods – they include cruciferous vegetables, sprouted grains, sea vegetables, super fruits (for antioxidant power), micro-algae, and more. It also gives you 20 grams of plant protein, digestive enzymes, and probiotics.
You just can’t beat it! They way I see it is; I’d have to fill my entire place with whole raw foods to get the kind of variety I get with this meal replacement. It’s also a lot cheaper. Sure, the drying process destroys some of the nutrients. But considering most of the vitamins, minerals, etc. listed provide 100 percent plus of total RDA, I’m bound to get most of what my body needs for the day.
Of course, I eat plenty more vegetables throughout the day and so should you. But, who wants to eat a bland mix for breakfast every day? Sometimes, I want something that tastes good, so I use fresh fruits and vegetables instead. I may just throw some different things into the blender and see what happens – or I might try a smoothie recipe. The point is variety.
Feel free to download this free smoothie recipe book, Green Smoothies, by Blender Babes. Be sure to sign up for their awesome newsletter at blenderbabes.com. You’ll get great recipes, health tips, and you’ll become a blender aficionado in no time.
Once a day superfoods
Some plant foods have such a profound effect on our health that we would be foolish not to include them. I’m not saying anyone is stupid who doesn’t know about these foods. Whether or not you knew about them before reading this article, I implore you to incorporate these superfoods into your diet. These foods we only need once per day and adding them to your Power Breakfast is easy.
I’m not going to go into detail on each item in detail because they have so many health benefits each one requires it’s own article.
- Coconut Oil. Incorporate 1 to 3 tablespoons of organic, extra virgin coconut oil into your diet every day. (I just put it in the blender with my Power Breakfast).
- Aloe Vera. Aloe Vera is one of the most powerful healing foods and the planet. Eat one fresh leaf (skin removed) per day for super health.
- If your organic super food mix doesn’t contain lemons, you might want to add some. Lemons are full of vitamin C and boost the effectiveness of the antioxidants that you consume with them. I just throw half a lemon into the blender with everything else – peel, seeds, and all.
- Others. I also throw in some cinnamon and some Himalayan Sea Salt (just a pinch).
That about wraps it up. Let us know what you eat for breakfast (good or bad), and give us your opinions on the article below. (Oh, be sure to give the article a 5-star rating too.